Friday, July 15, 2005

I love the sounds, images, and stories of the traditional Appalachian mountain dulcimer players. I have followed along, almost note-for-note, with Bonnie Russell's recording using my Galax dulcimer. The noter and quill don't scare me. I've studied the various tunings and melodies of Jean Ritchie. I’m no stranger to the Augusta films documenting the old-time players of West Virginia. I.D. Stamper’s playing amazes me. I've transcribed Pedi's playing and dissected his strum using half and quarter-speed video footage. I can’t play exactly like these people but I've tried to get pretty close. I know enough to appreciate and admire the music and the lives that make it.

I’ve at times totally immersed myself in the old-time fiddle and banjo music of the south. I have hundred’s of recordings of old 78 records from the 20’s and 30’s. I’m familiar with most of the great players of the 1900’s as well as the famed players of today. I’ve studied fiddle, banjo, guitar, jaw harp, and harmonica with the sole intention of becoming a better dulcimer player.

There are times when I’m drawn to the older ways. They remind me of my family from rural Kentucky and Tennessee. I think of all the stories my Great Grandma Surber told me. I dream of simpler times.

There are other times I explore the great acoustic blues players. I also listen to the beginnings of bebop. I greatly admire the early 78’s of Irish-Americans with their jigs and reels.

I like early rock-and-roll and country. I like John Cage. I like John Zorn. I like the “elevator music” of the 50’s. I love pop hits from the 80’s. I like Rap. I like drum and bass. I like Amy Grant and Keith Green. I like Indian and Moroccan music.

I can’t be bound to one musical style. My passion is exploring and adapting all music styles to the mountain dulcimer. While I will never leave the home of traditional Southern music, I must from time-to-time visit the vast playground of other musical styles. This blog will document my journey.

Both Jerry Rockwell and my father, Stephen Seifert, are building solid-body electric dulcimers to aid me in my travels. I will soon have pictures and details. Before long, I hope to point you to audio samples of my experiments. Thanks for your interest.

Stephen Seifert

1 Comments:

Blogger Don Surber said...

Come to think of it, I had a great Grandma Surber.

Not the same one, I am sure

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home